As the warm summer weather graces the UK, many of us find ourselves yearning to bring the great outdoors in. From bunches of cotton candy–coloured hydrangeas to curious Robins darting between the branches, our backyards are bursting with the kind of beauty that needs to be admired every chance we can get.
So, why not do just that with your very own garden room?
Whether you want to create a brand-new garden room from scratch or transform an existing space into a green oasis, we'll explore 6 budget-friendly decor ideas that will help you embrace the outdoors while adding a touch of style and charm to your living space.
Is a Garden Room a Good Investment?
Yes, a garden room is not just a passing trend; it’s a fantastic investment that can bring a lot of value to your home and lifestyle.
First and foremost, it expands your living space, providing a dedicated area to relax, entertain, or finally pursue that hobby you’ve been wanting to try. Think of it as a blank canvas you can customise into a unique space where nature thrives. That could be a meditation zone, yoga studio, cosy reading nook, or even your home office.
Additionally, a garden room adds a touch of luxury and elegance to your property, enhancing its overall appeal and potential resale value. It's a cost-effective way to extend your living area without the need for costly renovations or building extensions. And by bringing the outdoors in, you can enjoy nature year-round, regardless of the weather.
7 Cheap Garden Room Ideas for a Stylish Outdoor Living Space
Just like redecorating a room in your home, a garden room is an opportunity to get creative and add your own personal touch to a space. If you don't have the budget to install French doors or build on a dreamy conservatory, you can transform an unused space in your home to create a natural sanctuary just as effectively.
Here are a few ideas to get you inspired.
1. Embrace Small Spaces
Maximising small spaces is a challenge many of us face, especially in the UK. However, with some creativity and smart planning, even the tiniest corners can be transformed into a stylish garden room oasis. If you’re feeling a little lost, follow these tips to turn a cold empty corner in your home into a cosy garden room.
- Vertical gardens: Install vertical planters or hanging baskets on walls to add greenery without sacrificing precious floor space.
- Mirrors for illusion: Placing a large mirror on one wall can visually expand the room and reflect natural light, making your garden room feel brighter, greener, and more spacious.
- Opt for light colours: Light, neutral colours on walls, floors, and furniture can make a small space appear more open and airy. Use pastel tones or soft neutrals to create a calming and inviting atmosphere.
2. Greenery Everywhere
Bring a breath of fresh air into your garden room with an assortment of potted plants and hanging baskets. If you weren’t blessed with a green thumb, choose varieties that love to be ignored. Some of the most lush and low-maintenance plants make ideal garden room additions. These include:
- Snake Plant: Snake plants are incredibly hardy and can manage in low-lit spaces. Their dark green striped leaves uplift any space, and they require minimal watering, making them one of the best house plants.
- ZZ Plant: With glossy, dark green foliage, the ZZ plant is a true showstopper. These resilient little guys store water in their roots, so they’ll continue to thrive even if you skip water day.
- Devil's Ivy: Devil's Ivy, also known as the Money Plant, is a fantastic indoor creeper with cascading vines and heart-shaped leaves in various shades of green and yellow. It can tolerate a wide range of lighting conditions, and it’s forgiving when it comes to watering.
- Spider Plant: Spider plants are well-loved for their arching leaves with white stripes. They can adapt to different lighting conditions, although they thrive best in indirect light, and can brighten up even the dullest of corners.
3. Get Creative with Pallets
Repurposing wooden pallets has been a trend for a while now, and it still hasn’t lost its charm. These versatile and easy-to-find materials can be transformed into unique furniture pieces that add both character and sustainability to your space. If you’re not super handy, try these simple ideas to bring a natural element to your space on a budget:
- Pallet coffee table: Stack multiple pallets on top of each other and secure them in place. For added functionality, attach caster wheels to the bottom, making it easy to move around. You can leave the wood as is for a natural look, or paint/stain it to match your garden room's aesthetic.
- Vertical pallet herb garden: Utilise the vertical space in your garden room with a thriving herb planter, made with recycled pallets! Stand the pallet upright and secure it against a wall. Fill the gaps between the slats with landscape fabric, then add soil and your favourite herbs — it’s really that simple.
4. A Touch of Outdoor Textiles
Don't forget about the power of textiles. Infuse your space with cushions and throws that celebrate botanical prints, floral patterns, or leaf motifs. Try these simple ideas to add a splash of colour and warmth to your garden room:
- Botanical print cushions: These cushions instantly bring a sense of the outdoors, creating a lively and refreshing atmosphere. Mix and match different sizes and don’t be afraid to experiment with colour and bold prints.
- Floral patterned throws: Drape floral-patterned throws over your sofas, armchairs, or even outdoor benches to create a cosy and inviting ambiance. The addition of these textiles adds softness and warmth while evoking the essence of a blooming garden.
- Natural table linens: Never skip the smaller details! Choose tablecloths, placemats, or napkins adorned with floral prints and natural colours that add elegance and sophistication to your dining or coffee table.
5. Lighting Inspired by Nature
Create a truly enchanting atmosphere in your garden room by swapping out ordinary light fixtures for nature-inspired alternatives. These natural lighting choices not only bring an organic aesthetic but also create a calming and serene ambiance that deepens your connection with the outdoors.
- Twig chandeliers: Replace traditional chandeliers with captivating twig creations. These unique lighting fixtures mimic the enchanting beauty of branches, bringing a rustic and whimsical touch to your garden room.
- Bamboo pendant lights: Create an eco-friendly and tropical vibe with bamboo pendant lights. Bamboo is a sustainable material that brings warmth to any space. The soft glow produced by these lights also creates a tranquil and soothing vibe your guests will love.
- Woven lampshades: Enhance the organic feel of your garden room with woven lampshades made from natural fibres such as rattan, seagrass, or wicker. The gentle and diffused lighting created by woven lampshades adds a cosy and welcoming atmosphere to your garden room.
6. Art That Brings the Outdoors In
If you can’t bash down a wall into your garden, then hanging up a nature-inspired artwork is like a window into the whimsical outdoor world of your choosing. Select artworks that capture the beauty of landscapes, forests, flowers, or wildlife, and create a visual escape within your indoor space. Here are some great ways you can ‘greenify’ your space through art:
- Outdoor landscapes: Choose paintings or prints of vast landscapes that transport you to the great outdoors. Look for pieces that evoke a feeling of calmness and relaxation, with gentle hues and serene compositions.
- Botanical illustrations: Bring the enchanting beauty of flowers, plants, and botanical elements into your space with botanical illustrations. Look for detailed and realistic depictions that showcase the intricate forms and vibrant colours of various plant species.
- Wildlife art: Whether it's a majestic tiger, a playful family of dolphins, or a serene deer, wildlife art adds a sense of wonder and appreciation for the creatures that share our planet. These artworks become captivating focal points, inspiring a sense of harmony and respect for nature.
Taking design tips from mother nature is the best way to liven up your space and cultivate a sense of peace and calm amid the chaos. If you need to free up some space for these green additions, Storage King is the key.
Whether you need a compact locker or a medium storage unit for an upcoming move, we have a wide variety of unit sizes and customisable leases that allow you to store what you want, when you want. To find out more about our self storage solutions in the UK, contact us at 0800 0852 954 or request a price online.