Short Term Storage vs Long Term Storage
Self storage is useful in a variety of situations, serving as a cost-effective solution for the short-term while you renovate your home and long-term as an extension of your garage.
A storage solution for longer than three months is considered long-term storage, and the space usually serves as an extension of your home or garage. If you need a safe and secure place to keep seasonal items, extra furniture and other belongings, then long term storage is a great option.
At Storage King Walsall, our safe and secure self storage facility offers a range of self storage unit sizes available with a flexible lease agreement, keeping your belongings safe for as long or as short as you need.
Key Considerations When Selecting a Storage Unit
Whether you’re choosing a storage unit for short term or long term, the same considerations should be kept in mind. The following details should be considered when choosing a self storage unit.
- Safe and secure premises
- Convenient location
- Favourable accessibility
- Clean, dry and controlled environment
- Helpful and friendly team
When choosing a self storage facility for short term storage, there are a few extra details to keep in mind.
- Proximity of the location for easy access
- Ideal unit size for your belongings
- Flexible lease agreements with month-to-month rental options
- Convenient access hours
At Storage King Walsall, we offer all of the above, allowing you to access your belongings from short-term storage whenever you need.
Items in long-term storage may not be used as regularly, so the location of the facility and access hours may not be as important. However, there are a few specific details to consider for long-term storage.
- Flexible contracts to upsize or downsize as needed
- Discounts on long term storage to save costs
- Option of storage unit sizes to best meet your needs
How to Pack for Short Term Storage
While short term storage is a flexible and convenient solution for extra space, it’s important to take proper care when packing your belongings.
Once you’ve selected a clean and secure storage facility and chosen the right size storage unit for your needs, then you can begin packing and organising your belongings to move in.
Rather than use old supermarket boxes and group random items together, you can follow these tips to protect and organise your belongings effectively:
- Pack items that you regularly use at the front of your storage unit
- Create small aisles in your storage unit to move around easily
- Stack boxes in the order of importance
- Wrap breakables with bubble wrap or other protective packaging supplies
- Distribute the weight of your items evenly throughout all boxes
- Avoid overfilling boxes
- Label all boxes to easily identify the contents inside
At Storage King Walsall, we offer a convenient packaging shop with everything that you need to protect your belongings, including storage boxes, packaging materials, and more.
How to Pack for Long Term Storage
Unlike short term storage, which secures your belongings for a temporary period, long term storage serves as an extension of your home for as long as you need. Make the most of your storage unit by packing in an effective way.
Preparation is key when storing for a long period of time. For example, make sure that all appliances and belongings are clean and dry before packing them away to avoid mould and mildew.
Other packing tips for long term storage include:
- Use quality packing materials to cover large items, such as furniture covers
- Invest in sturdy storage boxes that will hold your belongings without breaking
- Protect fragile items by wrapping them in bubble wrap and protective packaging supplies
- Seal clothes and fabrics in vacuum-sealed bags to prevent damage
- Leave the doors of large appliances ajar to prevent mould
- Place certain items on pallets, off the ground, to prevent damage from moisture
- Place large, bulky items at the back of the storage unit
- Keep regularly used items near the front of the storage unit
Questions to Ask Before You Rent a Storage Unit
The ideal self self storage facility will be clean, dry, secure and easily accessible. Yet not all facilities are created equal and there are a few questions that you should ask yourself and the facility before choosing a storage unit rental.
- What type of items do you plan to store?
- How much space will you need?
- How frequently do you need to access the storage unit?
- Do you need to buy packaging supplies?
- Is the self storage facility reputable and transparent?
- Are the self storage units clean?
- What security measures are in place to protect the facility?
- Is the rental agreement flexible?
- What are the accessibility hours?
- Does the facility offer additional services such as van hire and a packaging shop?
- What size units are available?
- Is the customer service reliable?
- Are there any hidden fees?
Self storage offers a solution to needing more space and at Storage King Walsall, we strive to make the process as seamless as possible. With a wide range of storage units to choose from, and a friendly team to answer all of your questions, we help to make your self storage process as effortless as possible.
Why Store at Storage King Walsall
At Storage King Walsall, our valued customers benefit from the following services:
- Convenient location on Station Street
- Flexible lease agreements
- 24/7 access to your storage unit
- World-class security with 24-hour CCTV footage and individually alarmed units
- Choice of storage units ranging from 10 sq. ft to 200 sq. ft
- Free use of pallet trucks and trolleys
- Reliable van hire service
- Packaging shop with quality materials
- Manned reception during office hours from Monday to Saturday