The 2019 Rugby World Cup is currently on the go with a number of exciting games already played. It is the first time the Rugby World Cup is being played in Asia, and Japan is host country. England hosted the previous World Cup in 2015 where New Zealand were crowned champions.
Did you know Twickenham Stadium in London and Eden Park in Auckland have hosted the Rugby World Cup final twice? Here are a few other interesting facts that you may not know:
- A whistle used by a Welsh referee during a 1905 a match between England and New Zealand is the same whistle that has been blown for the opening match of every Rugby World Cup.
- Japan are the only team to have ever won three matches without progressing out of the pool stage. This was in 2015, the same tournament they beat South Africa.
- The biggest winning margin is Rugby World Cup history was when Australia beat Namibia 142-0 in 2003. However, New Zealand hold the record for the most points in one match, when they beat Japan 145-17 in 1995.
- There are only four countries who have won the Rugby World Cup – New Zealand (1987, 2011, 2015), South Africa (1995, 2007), Australia (1991, 1999) and England (2003).
- France is the only country to reach a Rugby World Cup final (in 1987, 1999, 2011) without ever winning.
- Former English rugby player Mike Tindall married Zara Phillips, daughter of Princess Anne of England, Prince William’s cousin and 13th in line to the British throne in 2011.
- Wales George North is the youngest try-scorer in Rugby World Cup (aged 19 years, 166 days). The youngest player to appear in a World Cup match is USA’s Thretton Palamo (aged 19 years, 8 days) while Uruguay’s Diego Ormaechea is the oldest try scorer in Rugby World Cup (40 years, 26 days).
- England are the only single host nation who have failed to advance out of their pool. This was at the 2015 Rugby World Cup. Wales, as joint hosts in 1991, was eliminated in the pool stages.
- Jason Leonard (England) and Richie McCaw (New Zealand) have the most appearances (22) in World Cup Rugby.
- There are only two nations in Rugby World Cup history who have won the tournament as hosts – New Zealand (1987, 2011) and South Africa (1995).
If you’re travelling from the UK to Japan, why not try and make an extra bit of cash and rent your home out on Airbnb. Take advantage of our incredible self storage offers at Storage King. Our facilities are conveniently located and monitored by CCTV cameras 24/7. Self storage is the ideal solution to storing your valuables while travelling abroad.
Visit one of our conveniently located stores and speak to one our friendly staff members. You can also give us a call on 0800 0852 954 or get a quick online self storage quote here.