Packing & Moving Help
Packing and moving can be a stressful experience, but Storage King can help to alleviate that stress with moving help. If you are unsure about what boxes or packaging materials you need, you can either browse our packing supplies shop, or call in at your local store to see our full ranges and discuss your requirements.
As well as providing excellent personal storage and household overflow, our house moving checklist below provides helpful hints and tips to help you know what to do when moving house.
Tips for moving house
3 months before the move
- If you live in rented accommodation, inform your landlord of your move.
- If you have children, ensure the necessary school transfer (if applicable) has been made.
- If you are working on a visa double, check the expiration date of your travel and visa documents.
2 months before the move
- Research removal companies, their insurance policies, collect quotes and book your preferred choice. Use a size estimator to get a clearer idea as to how much can be packed away in the quoted vans.
- Begin to sort out your belongings. Maybe give unwanted clothes to friends, family or charity.
- Purchase boxes, bubble wrap and other storage supplies and start packing less essential items.
- If necessary ensure you have arranged temporary accommodation.
1 month before the move
- If you intend to bring your furniture, first check whether it will fit in your new home. If they do, and if more convenient, look into putting your furniture into storage until you have moved.
- Confirm your moving arrangements with removal company.
- Inform important contacts, bank, local council, insurers, DVLA Inland Revenue etc. of your change of address.
- Register with local doctors and dentist if you are moving to a new area and arrange the internet, phone and cable TV subscription for your new home.
2 weeks before the move
- Let people know about your change of address - friends, online shops, mail order, milk, newspapers and magazine subscriptions.
- Clean as you pack and remember to throw away foods that are pass their sells by date.
- Dismantle unnecessary furniture and remember to book personal storage for the larger items you intend to take with you.
- Organise your mail to be re-directed, request annual leave for the day of the move and arrange for a baby sitter if you have kids.
1 week before the move
- Contact your solicitor and estate agents to ensure everything is going according to plan and arrange a day to get your keys.
- The packing should be nearing an end and you should begin packing your clothes in your suitcases.
- Ensure there will be a parking space for the removal van on the day of the move, and remember to remind friends and family that you'll need a helping hand.
- A few days before the move empty the fridge and defrost the freezer.
The day before the move
- Call your removal company to confirm their estimated time of arrival.
- Ensure your mobile phone is fully charged.
- Move all the boxes to a convenient place for the move and check everything is fully label and ready to be moved.
- Ensure you have an essentials box containing everything you'll need for the first night.
- Remember to bring your personal documents and valuables with you and keep in a safe place.
The day of the move
- Instruct the removal people what should and shouldn't be moved.
- Leave the keys is the place agreed with the new owner.
- Once everything is in the van double check your old home before you leave.
Our staff are waiting to advise you on finding the best storage solution for your needs. If you're unsure what your requirements might be, why not visit or call your nearest store to see the choice and flexibility we offer? Our storage prices page has our latest offers and discounts across all of our services.
We'll also give you help and advice on how to stack your goods and make the most of your storage unit's height, which ultimately will save on your budget.